
Since I was about 18 or so I have pondered getting a tattoo. A few things held me make, including not wanting to do everything my sister did (and she got a tattoo on her ankle for her 18th birthday). But mostly, it has always been a commitment issue. Will I like the image all my life, even when it goes out of style, even when my skin loosens and sags and flaps as i move as though it were an extra layer of clothing?
But the sex appeal and general cool-ness still lure me. So I have spoken with a tattoo artist and am waiting for his stetches. I assolate between two images: a lion and a tree. Right now I think the whole Tree of Life essense is more what I'm interested in. (The picture to the right is from an artist in Colorado who I know. I'm having the Vancouver artist use this as a template for his sketches.)
Whether I get it tonight or in Colorado or at all, is still to be determined. But the question still looms: to ink, or not to ink?

It's a hard question. I personally get caught up in worrying whether I will later think the image I chose will somehow be dated. I think the trick may be in getting a smallish design that is ultimately about the pleasure you alone would take from seeing it.
ReplyDeleteIt's so funny, I've been contemplating this whole thing too! I asked for opinons on facebook and boy, did I get a range! Right now I'm thinking I'd like a small floral, vinie thing on my shoulder blade right next to where tank top straps would be, almost like the flowers were climbing the strap. I figure shoulder blades, perhaps, get the least old age saggage? But the whole question of whether or not to get one at all keeps getting swished around in my brain. I ask myself, why DO I want one? Sex appeal? probably a little, well really, why else? I think they can be beautiful, if done right, and we're shamelessly concerned with our external beauty as women, right? I thought about doing a cross or faith word, but when I thought of those things, the lure of getting one completely went away. I guess I just don't feel the need to advertise my faith on my skin. So what it comes down to, I guess, is that they are sexy! Yep, thanks for letting me vent to figure this out, they're sexy, that's why I'm tempted to get one. We'll see if it ever happens;)!
ReplyDelete