Tuesday, September 1, 2009

After driving 1500miles...

My parents and i pulled up to the old house on Oregon Tr. just after midnight on Monday. I think it took me all of 2 minutes to makje my way to the basement, brush my teeth, and get in bed.

This morning i felt a bit lost. I knew where i was (i didn't wake up thinking i was in Vancouver...which has happened before when i visit my folks' place), but I didn't really know what to do with myself. There wasn't really anything for me to do, other than unpack...which will be a long process and i wasn't prepared to do pre-coffee.

So what did I end up doing? ...I unpacked enough of the car so that I could get to my clothes, showered and got dressed and had coffee with my dad. Now it's quite hot outside...so i think i'll postpone my walk around the 'hood to the evening.

It's funny seeing what's the same and what's different at my parents' house. Like trees that have grown, furniture re-arranged, updated photos in old frames. There are pictures of my nephews everywhere...which makes me miss them all the more. I'm looking forward to seeing the park near the house with the tree i used to climb barefoot and read in...and i'm looking forward to seeing friends.... like my crazy friend Chaundra whom i lived with for three years; she did her degree in musical theatre and now lives in New York working and getting gigs... or Clara, who also did English literature and whose wedding i was a bridesmaid in a few years back...and i wonder if i'll run into old professors or the gals i did grad school with here. Those gals and I used to go to Roma Pizza in Greeley on Monday nights for margs and bazooka beer. Good times.

Oh! and i'll definitely have to go to Gib's Bagels. yummy yummy... and explore downtown...and ride my bike along Spring Creek Trail (which flooded in 1997 and was a HUGE deal; lots of people died, actually and there's a statue up where the most devestation was)...and hopefully have beer with the guy who went bar hopping with me on my 21st birthday...

But mostly I hope to hit the "reset" button - just take a break and gather myself together before embarking upon the next adventure.

3 comments:

  1. Do you seriously live on Oregon Trail? Because that's boss. So many memories of green screens in grade 5 computer hour... ford the river!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes I do. I remember playing that in the "computer room" in grade 5. I wasn't particularly good at it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's great that you're in a time of rest, and in FC to boot! I'd love to see you some time, we live on the Northwest side of town, but I remember exactly where your parent's old house is, if it's the one they lived in when we were in grade school. let me know! I'm home full time with my babies, so as flexible as nap times allow.

    ReplyDelete