Monday, November 8, 2010

Traveling Adventures: Part 3

The last leg of Mandy's and my adventure was Bordeaux. Suffice it to say, neither she nor I were immediately impressed. The city was dirty, there was a LOT of dog poo on the sidewalks, and we got lost more than once (which happened to be my fault every time).

One classic moment was when we got on the right bus at the right bus stop... just going the wrong direction. I was holding the map of the city and we turned further way from the centre of town. When I realized my mistake, I told Mandy it would be best if she thought of this as a tour bus of Bordeaux. And it was... though it was more of the suburbs... indeed, we were off my map most of the way.

But after a few days, we found the nice parts of town and then did what all tourists should do in Bordeaux: visit the wineries. Let's be honest, Bordeaux is not known for its architecture or people or sanitation. No, it's known for its grapes, its vineyards, its oak barrels and rows of beautiful vines.
Over the course of two days, we went to four wineries. Each different. Each fantastic. One winery had been a family business for five generations and sold mostly locally. Another winery was large and industrial and shipped most of their stock internationally. A third winery was in a building (an old house) which had a few walls intact which were from the middle ages.


It felt like art was everywhere: in the land, in the glass, in the atmosphere. Everything was intentional: both functional and aesthetic. Walking the vineyards, seeing the fountains, drinking the fruit of the land: this was France.


It's worth pointing out that there was something in common with our tour guides. Each guide emphasized that there was not a king. The people of France loved Lady Liberty. The great fountain in the town centre was a a fountain with horses at the base and a tall tower on top of which Lady Liberty stands. The horses represented travel and industry, which at the time of its construction where the taking place on the rivers.

In a fantastic french accent our tour guide said in English: "We did not like the king. He was bad. So we killed him. And now we are subject only to Lady Liberty." It sounded funny at the time (and I still laugh at it from time to time), but it is a good example of how the history of this land is so much apart of contemporary life. Monuments and cemeteries are simply present, creating the topography and shaping the lives of the people there.


***


While I hope to return to France someday, I don't think I will spend more time in the bustling city of Paris. Paris is a city to be seen, and I have seen it. But Bordeaux is a city to be breathed and drunk in. And there is always more to drink!

No comments:

Post a Comment